What is Structural Integration?
Structural Integration is a system of deep-tissue bodywork and movement re-education. Based on the pioneering work of Dr. Ida Rolf, Structural Integration brings about lasting improvement to your posture, your movement, and your ability to adapt to the changing demands of daily life.
Structural Integration seeks root causes, rather than addressing symptoms. Our habits and hobbies, past injuries, surgeries and emotional stresses all affect how we stand, sit and move. Over time, we develop body-wide patterns of compensation that create chronic discomfort, make us prone to injury, and guzzle energy just to hold ourselves up against gravity.
We maintain these patterns not just in our muscles and nervous system, but in our fascia, the connective tissue that connects each cell in our bodies. Structural Integration addresses restriction throughout the fascial net, progressively unwinding global patterns that contribute to the symptoms you are experiencing. As your body recovers its natural length, freedom and balance through manual therapy, your practitioner guides you through simple awareness exercises that help you use and maintain that newfound freedom.
Ali’s Client Population
Ali’s clients range in age from 14-90+. The most common reasons people get in touch include low back pain, chronic sports injuries, and pain or numbness in the shoulders, upper back, or arms. Clients often arrive saying, “I’m too young to feel this old!”
I also hear from people who know they need help improving the way they sit, stand or move–either at work or while doing their favorite activities. Sometimes they call because they are in pain. Other times, they know their form (especially playing sports or musical instruments) is not as efficient as it could be, and they want to improve performance and prevent pain. Below is a broader view of how I might be able to help you.
- Prevent injury by improving stance, gait, and other sport-specific movements
- Stop the cycle of recurring injury or nagging discomfort
- Give yourself an athletic edge. Improve efficiency of movement, range of motion, energy and endurance
Adults of any age…
- Identify the keys to your chronic tension and pain. Reduce discomfort, and learn to self-manage tension as it arises.
- Learn to move, sit and breathe with greater freedom and ease
- Make lasting change to your posture. Release hunched shoulders, reduce rounded back, improve arches, bring balance to your hips and more.
- Prevent injuries “waiting to happen” due to repetitive strain and postural imbalance. Ever cough and throw out your back? Address the problem before you reach that last straw.
- Tune up your body after injury or surgery. Release scar tissue and realign the body.
- Get more in touch with your body. Explore the possibilities for movement and joy in your own skin.
- Stay agile, improve balance and prevent falls
- Don’t want to resign yourself to the aches and pains of “getting old?” Many times, these issues can be minimized or even reversed through neuromyofascial release, increased activity and range of motion.